Tonight I started a 5 gallon batch of skeeter pee. This time, instead of using a yeast packet and (3) 32oz ReaLemon bottles, I will use the yeast slurry from the 6 gallons of Wildberry Shiraz, (2) 32oz ReaLemon Bottles and (2) 15oz of Lime juice, making a “Lemon-Lime Shiraz Skeeter Pee”.
- 2 bottles of 32oz 100% lemon juice
- 2 bottles of 15oz Lime Juice
- 16 cups sugar
- 3/4 tsp tannin
- 6 tsp. yeast nutrient
- 2 tsp. yeast energizer
Once again, straight from the skeeterpee.com website:
“Make invert sugar by adding your 16 cups sugar to a large stainless cooking pot along with 8 cups water and 14 teaspoons lemon juice. Stir sugar to dissolve and heat to just below boiling while stirring. Hold at this temperature for about 30 minutes. Allow to cool slightly and pour it into your primary along with 2 of the bottles of the lemon juice (reserve the last bottle until later), and enough additional water to make 5 ½ gallons. Add the tannin, 3 tsp. of the yeast nutrient and 1 tsp. of the yeast energizer. Stir.”
January 22, 2011
January 26, 2011
January 27, 2011
Added (2) 15oz bottles Lime Juice
January 28, 2011
Transferred from Bucket into 5 Gallon Carboy.
February 17, 2011
Racked from 5 gallon glass carboy into 5 gallon Better Bottle.
Added 1/4 tsp Potassium Metabisulphite
Added 2.5 tsp Potassium Sorbate
Stirred to Degass
February 20, 2011
Added 5.5 cups granulated sugar to sweeten.
February 27, 2011
Filtered Skeeter Pee today.
Skeeter Pee before filtering.
Filtered with #2 pads
After filtering with #2 pads, the wine was still not very clear. I decided to go ahead and filter with #3 sterile pads. Doing this made the wine much clearer, but I also lost close to a gallon of Skeeter Pee due to filtering twice. After filtering, I added just slightly under 1/4 tsp of Potassium Metabisulfite to preserve it.
March 6, 2011
Bottled. Ended up with (18) 750ml bottles and (1) 1.5L bottle.